Monday, February 2, 2009

Snow and unsatisfied

My girlfriend went back to Poland for ten days today..so i was in the perfect meloncholy mood to take street photographs.
I waited in the snow in Oxfords ancient back alleys, for studenst workers and assorted tourists an toffs to slide into my viewfinder. I used an old Zeiss Ikon..so no fcus just distance gueswork!..but its lens is sharop and some beautiful mistakes, wells see.
I got aphonecall later from my girlfriend to say the flight was cancelled so my mood changed and i went home.
Next i'll try the poorer end of town and then i have the Poland trip to develop yet.

Unsatisfied

Im a little unsatisfied on this course with the lack of interest im feeling from others students to leave feedback about out tutorials and work.I know everybodies busy and i should make first contact i guess if want to create a group. They skill level is varied and ive yet to prove my worth really, but some of the others seem to still view photgraphy as a hobby..but it consumes me every hour..its my life although this sounds pompous..ive put myself in a posistion where i must achive something more in photography because i cant find work doing anything else now (though ive tried and i need money to help me on this course)...asparartions to join VU or Magnum one day must rest with reality now.

The othet thing is going over most of the same things from Newport which can be good, and may give me another chance with the similar assignments? but likestreet photography?..i feel like ive produced some good work over the post in this field but its never helped my career? from thew work in Czech republic and the Balkans to Bolivia?....all te comments ive ever got from people like 'Kathy Ryan and Womble from the Hereford festival i: yes nice images..but it looks like a college project?..or weve seen similar? or their are already great and few photographers doing and being succesful wirth journeys and st photos now..you should concentarte on my intimate subjects and deper projects etc..(sometimes i agree)

so to shoot this assignment with 2 rollls of film?..maybe a day? could be only advantagouse to outr tutors in seeing what interests our eyes and minds and if we can see the beautiful in the mundance...the strange in the dark places?

But to make a tutorial and proper mark assesment from this assignment would be pointless? (maybe were not getting marked on this?...not sure hat Paul said; but i belived it was just the person at work 1 we wernt getting assesed on..?)


[

4 comments:

Daniel said...

Do you mean people commenting on your work on the blog or the course?

Daniel said...

I don't agree it's pointless by the way. Good street photography isn't easy. You need to blend in and shoot according to the brief. It's not a case of just being there, that's only a small part of the whole process.

I developed most of my skills when doing street photography and rely on so many of them now

Kirk G Ellingham said...

Im meant if i look at my history its pointless for me..not pointless to do...ive been taking street photography for 10 years or more..
I think many of my street photos are good, from the Balkans e europe and s .America but editors etc have never found them interesting enough etc to publish...so i dont think i can take better st photos than this and my old work isnt succesful so its pointless in tht way.
i just mean that achive something good in 2-3 weeks with only two roll of film for each shoot is pointless....the assignments isnt pointless.

Daniel said...

aah i get ya!