Sunday, May 31, 2009

End of May




Well its the end of May and i am still floating around in a state of flux. I havnt taken many photographs for my projects in the last few weeks apart from a trip to St Ives with my girlfriend.
I am starting to lose a conecction with the other people on my course, my ideas, style and perspective on photojournalism etc seems different to many of the people on the course.
This is mostly my fault as i havnt attended many base camps, but although there are 30 people on the course i still havnt seen many peoples work or blogs and only a few projects have inspired me, (i hope that doesnt sound arrogant)....
The best components for me on the course have been a few lectures and the tutorials with John, although i belive that i should show my work to Homer as well to get 2nd opinions and a different perspective on my ideas and styles.
Its a pity there arent more Teachers to show work to and bounce ideas off, as the other students on the course dont have that much time to comment on work/ feedback etc, myself included.
I am still confused with the hand in dates for the essay?..will it be July the 24th the same as the extended story deadline.

I will travel again to Warsaw to work on my Chechen Refugee/Migrant project from the 1st of July-14th..so this work will probobly be too late for my extended story hand in. So i haver to make a choice between the Excelsior Days project or Polish Away...both OK work but for me a hand in for July is too soon to produce a strong enough work from these images, for a July deadline, but does this matter?.....as for presentation im still not sure, i would like to show the work in a new imaginative way, but im not that techinicial...but even so i dont wont to get hung up on all the techinicial issues..final cut, multimedia concepts, flash like some people on the course... Blah..balah blah....if the images are strong maybe they will stand up on their own?.......
when i look on media storm i see great projects..but it looks like you have to add a lot of dross images to a slideshow to make it work.....to fill in the gaps, for time etc with a lot of repetition to make the story work as a per a moving image presentation/film....dumbing down from good photographers..because 15 amazing images isnt enough to make a slideshow..there are expections such a sthe story on Rwandian wome and their children; the legacy of rape. Id much rather see text, sound, music maps etc and dialouge interview fill the spaces rather than generaic transistion images.

1 comment:

daniel said...

Yup 24th July for both the story and the essay